St. Angelo’s Fort (also known as Kannur Fort or Kannur Kotta), is a fort facing the Arabian Sea, situated 3 km from the town of Kannur.
Facing the sea, this is one of the most attractive centers in Kannur district in Kerala. The fort stands close by the Arabian Sea. This fort proclaims the strength and beauty of Portuguese architecture. The two sides of the fort facing the sea was built in a triangular shape. It was Don Francisco De Almeida, the first Portuguese Viceroy, who laid the foundation stone of this fort with the permission of Kolathiris in 23 October 1505.
The Dutch captured the fort in 1663 and sold it to the Ali Raja of Kannur in 1772 and in 1790-it came into the possession of the British. This fort is now under the control of Archaeological Survey of India.
The Arabian Sea, the dense coconut trees, the fishing boats and natural harbor moppila bay are the unforgettable sights, one can have from this fort. Arakkal kettu of historical importance can also be seen from this fort. Different projects are being implemented at the government level to preserve the fort in a good condition. Projects envisage to beautify the fort retaining its antiguity and providing parking area.
- Location : 3 kms from Kannur
- Nearest Railway Station : Kannur
- Nearest Bus Station : Kannur
- Nearest Airport : Kozhikode (120 kms)