Ezhimala is one of the famous historical sites of the Kannur region that was the capital of the erstwhile Mooshika kings. This site served as a battleground during the war of Chola-Chera.
As per a legend, Lord Buddha is believed to have visited this place. An ancient mosque, which has remains of the Muslim reformist Shaikh Abdul Latif, is visited by many tourists.
This historical site also served as the headquarters of the Ezhimala Radii during the reign of Sang. It has been mentioned in the Sang literature as 'ezhil malai', which means high hillock. Another attraction of this site is a hillock, which is around 286 m high. The Mount Dilli Lighthouse can also be seen on the hillock.
Naval Academy Ezhimala (NAVAC), one of the largest of its kind in Asia, is located here. Permission is required for entry.
- Location : Ezhimala, 35 kms north of Kannur
- Nearest Railway Station : Ezhimala
- Nearest major Railway Station : Payyannur
- Nearest major Bus Station : Payyannur
- Nearest Airports : Mangalore(110 kms), Kozhikode (150 kms)